Tuesday 5 April 2011

Quinoa Cloud Cookies Recipe




It's spring here. I know because I'm standing in my kitchen, looking out onto the porch, watching a robin gather bundles of dried grass (from a neglected planter) to use as bedding in her nest. I was feeling bad about the state of my patio garden, but this makes me feel a bit better. I'm watching the robin, the sun is out, and I have a batch of cloud-shaped cookies in the oven. Even better, I'm excited to finally put my hand-crafted cookie cutter from Herriott Grace to use.

  The inspiration for these cookies came from a quinoa shortbread recipe in a new cookbook focused exclusively on cooking with quinoa - Quinoa 365. Whitecap sent me a copy, rightly thinking I'd enjoy the ideas and recipes in it (the photography is quite nice as well). The quinoa shortbread recipe caught my attention, many people use rice flour in their shortbread to achieve a more crunchy shortbread texture, so making a shortbread with quinoa flour made sense to me. Both are gluten-free flours that crisp up nicely in certain preparations. So, although I made some pretty significant changes to my version of the cookies (mainly in relation to technique, measurements, ingredients I had on hand), they were certainly inspired by Patricia and Carolyn's version.
One of the things that makes these cookies great is toasting the flours ahead of time. It's one of those steps that takes a bit of time, but is well worth it. The resulting cookies are buttery, nutty, and rich. They are good after cooling and settling a bit, but best the next day (after sitting on the counter uncovered over-night). The flavor and texture seem to come together after spending the night together.

I think it may be obvious, but because of the shade of the quinoa flour and the flecks of chocolate shavings, these clouds are of the stormy variety. And, I know not many of you have cloud-shaped cookie cutters - you can certainly cut these into whatever shapes you like.



I know some people like to toast flours in the oven, but I find toasting them in a large skillet gives me more control, resulting in even browning, less occurrences of burning. Also, avoid big chunks of chocolate, it makes it hard to roll out the dough into uniform thickness.

    3/4 cup / 3.5 oz / 100g quinoa flour
    1 cup / 5 oz / 145 g all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
    1 cup / 8 oz / 225g unsalted butter, room temperature

    1 cup / 5 oz / 140 g sifted fine-grain natural cane sugar (or light brown sugar)
    1/2 cup / 2.5 oz / 70 g shaved chocolate
    3 tablespoons large-grain sugar flakes (or turbinado)

Combine the flours in your largest skillet over medium heat. Toast the flour stirring constantly, until they get slightly golden and fragrant. If the flour takes on an acrid smell you've likely gone too far, or the pan is too hot. Remove from heat, sift the flours into a bowl, add the salt, then place in the refrigerator or freezer for 10 minutes or so to facilitate cooling.

Cream the butter either by hand or using an electric mixer. Add the sugar, then cream some more, scraping the sides of the bowl a couple times along the way. Stir in the flour until it is just incorporated, then stir in the chocolate shavings.

Gather the dough into a ball, flatten into a 1/2-inch thick patty, wrap, and place in the refrigerator to chill - roughly 45 minutes.

In the meantime, preheat oven to 350F / 180C, placing racks in the center. And line a baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper, and set aside.

After the dough has chilled, roll it out on a lightly floured counter-top 1/4-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes, sprinkle with the big sugar grains, and place at least 1 1/2-inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes, until the bottoms of the cookies are nicely golden. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.

Makes 12+ large cloud cookies. Your yield will vary depending on your cutter shape.

Prep time: 60 min - Cook time: 15 min

We have another website www.indiashoppers.in


20 comments:

  1. Woww thats so delicious.. thanx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be delicious. Thnask for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try to do this receipt. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was nice idea for making it delicious cake, i like and appreciate your work. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really a great idea... For making deligious cake... I really appreciate with your work... great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister is a great fan of cookies,i am going to prepare this for my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just another delicious dish..thank u very much for sharing all these..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing such valuable information.Keep posting such great info for us thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an extremely well written article. I will make sure that I will bookmark it and open this page again to read this useful information provided by you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been browsing internet for more than three hours today since morning, yet I didn’t found any interesting article like this which provides knowledge. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will probably be back again to browse more, many thanks for the data.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see that you possess a degree of expertise on this subject, I would like to hear much more from you on this subject matter. I have bookmarked this page and will return soon to hear additional about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you will keep on submitting new articles or blog posts & thank you for sharing your great experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great article, Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a very informative post. It contains very helpful information.
    Do you need the Best Kitchen Utensil Set, we can help to find the right tool. Kitchen Utensil Set is an important part of any kitchen, but you don’t have to settle for the basics. You can kitchen decor with utensil sets that show off your personality. This is an attractive color or a fun pattern for your kitchen cupboard.

    ReplyDelete